Pyramid Butterflyfish (Hemitaurichthys polylepis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1.020 - 1.025
8.2 - 8.4
This animal is available captive bred
- Pyramid Butterflyfish, Banded Butterflyfish
Additional scientific names
- Chaetodon polylepis
- Christmas Island in the eastern Indian Ocean to Indonesia and the Hawaiian, Line, and Pitcairn islands, north to southern Japan, south to Rowley Shoals and New Caledonia. Replaced by Hemitaurichthys zoster in the Indian Ocean.
- It is not possible to visually sex this fish.
- This Butterflyfish is one of the few in the family to be considered reef safe. As long as it's kept well fed it should not turn on polyps and other soft corals, it said to be more of a planktonic feeder.
- Can be kept singly, in pairs or even in small groups in a large enough tank.
- This fish is best fed frozen and freeze dried foods which are algae based, can also be fed mysis shrimp and brine shrimp.
- Feed twice a day.
- Does best in a large, mature and spacious reef setting.
- A peaceful but shy fish.
- Is yellow with a telltale white triangle marking. Has been known to hybridise with Hemitaurichthys zoster.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )