Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
7.5 - 8.2
This animal is available captive bred
Additional scientific names
- Tilapia nilotica, Sarotherodon niloticus
- Nile river basin down to central Africa, introduced populations worldwide.
- Males, and females are identical
- omnivorous; will eat a variety of food.
- Very adaptable species; can tolerate even brackish conditions.
- A very placid species that is incredibly prolific.
- Standard type is grey; colour varieties have been bred.
- Is a notoriously prolific species like its cousin the Mozambique Tilapia, although it is less cold tolerant than its cousin.