Spike Tail Trumpet Snail (Melanoides granifera)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Spike Tail Trumpet Snail)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Spike Tail Trumpet Snail
19 Litres (5 US G.)
1.3-2.5cm (0.5-1 ")
7.2 - 8.5
18 -26 °C (64.4-78.8°F)
This animal is available captive bred
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Spike Tail Trumpet Snail
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- All individuals are hermaphroditic and livebearers, a single snail can turn into many.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful snail, will not bother tank inhabitants. However, should not be kept with aggressive fish that may attack it such as Loaches or Pufferfish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- A scavenging snail, will constantly hunt for food and can be supplemented with blanched vegetables and algae wafers.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Most active at dusk, or just after lights out.
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- Likes to burrow so a sand substrate is preferred. Generally doesn't eat aquarium plants.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Different from the more common Melanoides tuberculata in that it's shell is shorter and stockier, usually coloured a rich red-brown.